Crisco® No Fail Pastry
Makes:two to five 9" (23 cm) pie shells
This rich pastry bakes up flaky and light textured. No matter what kind of pie you’re making, it’s sure to impress.
- Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut room temperature shortening into flour with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat egg, water and vinegar together to blend. Pour all the liquid over flour mixture. Stir with fork until mixture is moistened.
- Divide dough in half and shape into a ball. Flatten each into a circle about 4" (10 cm). Wrap and chill dough 15 minutes for easier rolling.
- Roll each portion of dough separately. Dust rolling pin and work surface lightly with flour. Roll dough to a uniform thickness in spoke fashion from centre to edge with light even strokes. If dough sticks, dust lightly with flour. Roll to a circle about 1" (2.5 cm) larger than upside down pie plate.
- Ease into pie plate without stretching. Repeat rolling with remaining pastry for top. Trim, flute and bake according to your filling recipe.
- Prepare as above, dividing dough into 5 equal portions. Wrap well then chill before use. Roll out as directed above.
* For 5 pie shells
- For easy transfer to a pie plate, slide spatula under dough to loosen it, then lift one edge of pastry onto rolling pin and loosely wrap it around the rolling pin. Unwrap pastry into pie plate.
- For recipes calling for baked pie shells, prick bottom and sides of shell thoroughly with fork then bake in preheated 425ºF (220ºC) oven 10 to15 minutes, or until lightly golden.
|Servings Per Recipe||Per single crust slice (34 g)|
|Saturated Fat||3.7 g|