Easter Sugar Cookies
Makes:about 36 cookies
Freezing:excellent, not decorated
With colourful candies and frostings, your little artists can create yummy masterpieces. Try floppy-eared bunnies, flowers or colourful egg designs.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Cream shortening and sugar together on medium speed of electric mixer until blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture. Mix well. Form dough into 2 balls. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill about 3 hours for easy handling.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out, one ball at a time, on a floured surface to 1/8" (3 mm) thickness. Cut into desired shapes like eggs and bunnies with floured cookie cutters. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle on coloured sugar before baking or leave plain and decorate later.
- Bake in preheated oven for 7 to 10 minutes, or until light golden. Cool on sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to rack and cool completely.
- Decorate attractively with icing and candies.