Gluten Free* Blueberry Pie
Now everyone can enjoy this fresh and fruity classic pie.
- Pie Crust: Place flour, sugar, xanthan gum and salt in a food processor. Process for 10 seconds. Add cubed shortening and pulse until combined. With motor running add cold water and vinegar. Process until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in two balls, one ball slightly larger than the other. Flatten balls into ½” (1 cm) thick round disks.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Roll larger piece of dough from centre outward with steady pressure between 2 pieces of parchment paper into a circle 2” (5 cm) wider than 9” (23 cm) pie plate. Carefully remove top piece of parchment paper.
- Invert dough on the parchment paper into the pie plate. Keep parchment paper on to press dough into pie plate. Gently remove. Patch any tears. Roll out remaining disk and set aside.
- Filling: Combine blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest in a large bowl. Place mixture in pastry lined pie plate. Gently invert second disk on top of filling. Trim edges of dough. Press edges together to seal and flute as desired. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to vent steam.
- Topping: Brush top of pie with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Lower oven to 350°F (180°C). Continue baking for 55 to 60 minutes until crust is golden brown. Cool on wire cooling rack.
Don’t worry if some dough sticks to the paper, simply peel it off. Using parchment paper prevents the crust from crumbling.
- *Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 Serving (210 g)|