Light & Fluffy Rolls
These light textured rolls bake up deliciously. Try making some with rosemary and garlic for an extra burst of flavour.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in large mixing bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes until doubled in size. Add evaporated milk, shortening, eggs, salt and 3 cups (750 mL) flour.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes using an electric mixer. Stir in just enough flour to form a soft dough. Mixture will be sticky. Do not knead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Grease 20 muffin cups.
- Remove dough from fridge. Punch down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 20 portions about 2 oz (56 g) each. Divide each portion in half and shape into balls. Place 2 balls side by side in each muffin cup.
- Lightly cover with plastic wrap or a dish towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Brush tops of rolls with beaten egg. Sprinkle pumpkin and sunflower seeds on dough in muffin cups (any kinds of seeds will work).
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
- Variations: Mix in 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh rosemary and 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped garlic when making the dough or add 1 cup (250 mL) grated old sharp Cheddar when making the dough.
- Try braiding or twisting instead of forming into balls.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 Roll (45 g)|