Classic Pumpkin Pie
The whole family will love this sweet holiday favourite based on our Perfect Flaky Pie Crust recipe. With cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves, it’s got the perfect amount of pumpkin and spice.
- Pie Crust: Mix flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut chilled shortening into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes. Work in shortening cubes into flour mixture, using a pastry blender or two knives, in an up and down chopping motion, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some small pea-sized pieces remaining.
- Sprinkle half the maximum recommended amount of ice cold water over the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir and draw flour from bottom of bowl to the top, distributing moisture evenly into flour. Press chunks down to bottom of bowl with fork. Add more water by the tablespoonful (15 mL), until dough is moist enough to hold together firmly when pressed together.
- Bring dough together. Flatten ball into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick round disk.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes or up to 2 days for ease in rolling.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Roll dough from centre outward with steady pressure on a lightly floured surface (or between two sheets of wax or parchment paper) into a circle 2-inches wider than the pie plate. Transfer dough to pie plate by loosely rolling around rolling pin. Centre the rolling pin over the pie plate, and then unroll, easing dough into pie plate.
- Trim edges of dough leaving a 3/4-inch (2 cm) overhang. Fold edge under itself. Flute dough as desired.
- Filling: Whisk together, in a large bowl, pumpkin purée, sugar, eggs, flour, spices and salt until smooth and well combined. Gradually whisk in evaporated milk. Fill pie shell with mixture.
- Bake in bottom third of preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until set. Cool on wire cooling rack.
- There is a difference between pure pumpkin purée and pumpkin filling. Make sure to use 100% pumpkin purée so you can add your own spices and sugar.
- Filling can be split between two 9” (23 cm) pie crusts. Bake 40-45 minutes or until set.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 Serving (165 g)|