Want to make a pie crust that’s rich, tasty and irresistibly flaky? Well this is it! All it needs is your favourite filling.
|1 cup||250 mL Robin Hood® Original All Purpose Flour|
|1/2 tsp||2 mL salt|
|1/3 cup||75 mL Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening|
|2 tbsp||30 mL cold water|
- Combine flour and salt in large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles small peas. Add water, mixing lightly with fork. Shape dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and let rest in fridge at least ½ hour.
- Remove from fridge and let dough rest 20 minutes.
- Roll dough on lightly floured surface to a circle 1/8” (2.5mm) thick. Place loosely in 9” (23cm) pie plate. Trim pastry 1” (2.5cm) beyond edge of plate. Fold edge under and flute as desired.
- For Baked shell: Preheat oven to 475ºF (240ºC).
- Prick sides and bottom of pastry with fork to prevent shrinking and puffing. Line with foil and pie weights. Bake at 475ºF (240ºC) for 8 – 10 minutes or until light golden.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden.
- Remove foil and pie weights and continue baking 8 to 10 minutes longer until pastry is dry and cooked. Fill as desired.
- For Unbaked shell: Do not prick. Fill and bake as directed in recipe.
- Double Crust Pie: Prepare pastry according to directions, fill and cover with pastry. Seal and flute edges. Bake according to pie recipe.