Butter Tart Squares
This fabulous recipe makes enjoying the classically Canadian flavour of butter tarts easier than ever. Everyone is sure to love these great tasting favourites.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Lightly grease and line an 8” x 8” (2L) baking dish with parchment paper, letting paper hang slightly over two sides of pan to use as handles for easy removal of squares.
- Cream butter and brown sugar in large mixing bowl until combined. Add flour and beat until mixture is a soft dough. Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Filling: Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy in large bowl. Beat in corn syrup, eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and baking powder.
- Sprinkle raisins over baked pastry base. Pour filling over raisins.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until filling is set. Cool. Loosen edges of pastry and remove from pan. Cut into squares.
- Replace raisins with chopped pecans or walnuts.