Magnificent Mini-Tiered Cakes
Makes:2 Princess Cakes
These delightful little desserts can be themed to suit any party. Showcase your creativity and decorate them with candies, sprinkles or chocolates to make unique works of art.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease and line a 9” x 13” (3 l) baking dish with parchment paper, overlapping 2 sides for easy removal.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light. Add eggs and vanilla. Fouetter well.
- Combine, in a separate bowl, flour, baking powder and salt. Add half of flour mixture to wet ingredients. Add evaporated milk and then remaining dry mixture until all ingredients are combined in your bowl.
- Spread batter in prepared dish.
- Bake in preheated oven 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Icing: In bowl of electric mixer, place butter, 3 cups (750 ml) icing sugar, evaporated milk and vanilla. Beat for 5 minutes. Add remaining icing sugar, 1 cup (250 ml) at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. This will ensure your icing becomes nice and smooth and ready to decorate your cakes.
- Assembly: Using a 4 ½” (11.4 cm), a 3 ½” (8.9 cm) and a 2 ½” (6.4 cm) cookie cutters, cut out 2 of each size. Place largest piece on two separate serving platters or cake boards. Cover top with icing. Place medium piece over icing. Ice top and place remaining piece on top. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes. (This will hold the layers in place for easy assembly.)
- Decorating Time: Choose your favourite candies, sprinkles, chocolates and any other decorations and get ready to theme your very own cake.
a. Begin by icing your full cakes. Try adding food colouring to your icing for new colours. Once cakes are iced the way you like them, decorate to your heart’s content. You can draw on shapes with different coloured icing or add some of the many decorations you have set out.
b. When you have placed the final touch on your cake - smile! It’s time to take a photo with your and your masterpiece.
- When baking time is almost done, check to see if your cake is ready. Insert a toothpick into the centre. If it comes out clean, it’s ready. If not- keep in oven but watch closely, checking every few minutes.
- If you are not eating both cakes today, freeze the extra one. It can be frozen completely assembled if desired. Simply wrap well and enjoy at your next party.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 serving (4.6 oz/ 130 g)|