Lemon Meringue Cake
You’ll be walking on air when you take a bite of this sweet a light textured meringue surrounding a zesty lemon layer cake.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease two 8” (22 cm) round cake pans. Line bottoms with rounds of parchment paper.
- Lemon Curd: Dissolve gelatin, in a small bowl, with cold water followed by hot water, stirring until completely dissolved. Reserve.
- Whisk, in a medium saucepan, rind, juice, sugar and yolks. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking, until thickened. Stir in evaporated milk and gelatin mixture. Pour into bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours up to 4 days.
- Cake: Whisk together egg whites, ¼ cup (50 mL) evaporated milk and vanilla.
- Combine, in a large bowl, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using electric beaters mix in butter and remaining evaporated milk until batter is moist. Beat for 1 ½ minutes. In 3 additions, mix in egg whites until well combined and transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in pans on rack.
- Meringue: Whisk, in top of double boiler over medium heat, ingredients together. Cook, whisking, until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm (about 110°F/45°C). Transfer mixture to bowl and beat mixture on high for 10 minutes or until meringue is thick and shiny.
- Assembly: Cut each cake in half horizontally. Place first layer on plate, cut side up. Spread with 1/3 of lemon curd. Repeat with remaining layers and curd. Ice sides and top of cake with prepared meringue, tapping meringue with the back of a spoon to make peaks in the meringue.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 serving (141 g)|