Lemon Chiffon Cake
With the refreshing tang of lemon, this chiffon cake bakes up extra luscious. Your guests will always have room for a slice!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Cake: Combine flour, baking powder, salt and first amount of sugar in large bowl. Stir well to blend.
- Add oil, egg yolks, water and lemon rind. Beat with electric mixer until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Beat in small bowl egg whites and cream of tartar to form stiff, moist peaks. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff, shiny peaks are formed.
- Fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture, gently but thoroughly.
- Turn batter into ungreased 10" (4 L) tube pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Invert cake to cool. Loosen edges and shake pan to remove cake.
- Filling: Cream butter until smooth. Gradually add half of icing sugar.
- Beat in lemon juice, egg yolk and pie filling, then remaining icing sugar gradually beating until smooth and creamy. Chill if necessary for desired consistency.
- Assembly: Slice cake horizontally into 3 equal layers. Fill layers with 1/3 of filling. Spread remaining filling on top layer.
- Decorate top with lemon twists.
|Servings Per Recipe||Per 1 slice (127 g)|
|Saturated Fat||12.2 g|