Indian Naan Bread is a perfect solution to the "What to bring" dilemma when you're attending a party or potluck, and it's a delicious alternative when you're looking for something a little different.
Traditionally dipped in Raita – a cooling yogurt/cucumber combo that's similar to tzatziki, Indian Naan Bread is a versatile flat bread that's served with most Indian dishes. Made with Robin Hood Best for Bread Homestyle White Flour, Indian Naan Bread can also be served with family favorites. This scratch recipe is topped with a delicious mixture of sesame and poppy seeds and its unique taste is sure to warm you up when you're feeling chilled.
- COMBINE 3 cups (750 mL) of Robin Hood Best for Bread Homestyle White Flour and salt in large mixing bowl. Make a well in centre. Mix warm milk, butter and yogurt. Pour into well. Sprinkle sugar and yeast over milk mixture. Let stand 10 minutes. Beat with wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth and elastic. If necessary, add more flour to make a soft dough which leaves sides of bowl. Turn out onto floured board. Round up into a ball.
- KNEAD dough, adding more flour as necessary until smooth and elastic.
- PLACE in lightly greased bowl. Turn dough to grease top. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel.
- LET RISE in warm place (75° - 85°F/24° - 29°C) until doubled (45-60 minutes).
- PUNCH DOWN. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead for 1 minute. Divide dough into 8 portions. Shape each into a ball. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- SHAPE one ball at a time, keeping remaining balls covered. Roll dough into circle, 1/4" (1 cm) thick keeping it thin in the centre and thicker around the edges. Pull one end outward to make a tear drop shape. Repeat with remaining balls
- BRUSH dough with melted butter and sprinkle with seeds.
- BRUSH baking sheets with water. Put 2 or 3 naans on each sheet.
- BAKE at 450°F (230°C) for 5-6 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. To keep breads soft, wrap in tea towels 5 minutes after baking. Store in plastic bag.
|Per 1 Naan||93 g|
|Saturated Fat||7.1 gm|