Cranberry Orange Bread
This fluffy and fruity bread made with ricotta cheese is best served on relaxing Sunday mornings.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar in 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water in large bowl. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.
- Stir in next 8 ingredients and 2 cups (500 mL) of flour. Beat with electric mixer at low speed for 2 minutes until soft dough forms.
- Stir in cranberries and about 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) remaining flour gradually. If necessary, add more flour to make a soft dough which leaves sides of bowl. Turn out onto lightly floured board.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface, adding more flour as necessary, until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky (5-10 minutes).
- Place in large greased bowl. Turn dough to grease top. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel.
- Rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (50-60 minutes).
- Punch down. Turn out onto floured board and knead 1 minute. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 20" (50 cm) long rope. Braid the 3 ropes together. Coil braid into a greased 10" (25 cm) springform pan; cover with tea towel.
- Rise in warm place until doubled (30-45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Brush lightly with beaten egg, if a shiny top is desired.
- Bake in preheated oven, on lower oven rack, for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pan immediately. Cool slightly on wire rack.
- Combine icing sugar and enough orange juice for icing, in a large bowl, to make a smooth spreading consistency. Spread over warm cake. Serve warm or cool.
|Per 1 slice||63 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.9 gm|