Cinnamon Raisin Bread
With the appetizing aroma of spicy cinnamon, the comforting warmth of freshly baked bread and the juicy sweetness of plump raisins, this recipe will have your family leaping out of bed for breakfast.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar in 3/4 cup (175 mL) warm water in large bowl. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.
- Stir butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon into warm milk.
- Add milk mixture and 1 cup (250 mL) flour to dissolved yeast mixture. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer for 1 minute. Gradually add 1 cup (250 mL) more flour, beating on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add raisins. Gradually stir in almost all the remaining flour, using enough flour to make a soft dough which leaves sides of bowl while forming a ball.
- Knead dough, adding more flour as necessary, until it is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky (about 10 minutes).
- Place in lightly greased bowl. Turn dough to grease top. Cover with parchment paper and tea towel.
- Let rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (1 to 1 1/4 hours).
- Punch down. Turn out onto lightly floured board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape into a loaf. Place seam side down in greased 9" x 5" x 3" (2 L) loaf pan.
- Cover with tea towel and let rise in warm place until doubled (30 to 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake on lower rack of preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Cover top of loaf with foil during last 15 minutes if becoming too brown. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
|Servings Per Recipe||1 Slice (45 g)|